Pages

Saturday 8 January 2011

Cave Crawling....

There have been a number of 'firsts' on this trip and yesterday was another- caving.

Before yesterday my opinion of caves was that they were only good for housing animals that I generally want to avoid. Why anyone would want to go snooping around in them was beyond me. Quite how I found myself sliding along on my belly through the narrowest of gaps, I have no idea! (Keep in mind, all I've heard since I arrived is how deadly the outdoors here can be-snakes, spiders, blah, blah, blah...)

To say I was nervous is an understatement, and it wasn't just the creepy crawlies. There's something about being stuck in small spaces that unsettles me. The further we went the more I could feel my heart beat rising into my head.

(Google image) there weren't as many as this
Thankfully, the cave system we were in was pretty cavernous so I didn't have to spend too much time on my belly. There was plenty to distract me as well and that helped. Besides the scary bugs there were lots of glow worms and weird grasshopper-type things.

Interesting fact No.1: Glows do not poop. It's true (apparently). They glow as they burn off their....waste. So we sat and watched the glow worms burn off their poop for a while. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia class action lawsuit