Pages

Saturday 5 March 2011

A Thermal Wonderland....

Yesterday I made my way to Waiotapu. This is a town that consists of a pub, a petrol station and a cafe. I got off the bus and suddenly realised I may not have anywhere to sleep, but thankfully the pub had some beds! (I really should have looked into that in advance!)
My reason for going to this tiny place is that it is the home of the Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland! Sounds promising, eh? Well it didn't disappoint.


Basically this whole region has the thinnest crust on the planet and so there are lots of thermal pools and volcanic activity. The Thermal Wonderland had all sorts of colours of pools and rocks formed by the volcanic atmosphere underground.

The whole place stank of rotten eggs, but it was amazing to see boiling water hissing and steaming as it came 
sputtering out of the ground.


Again, I had a great time snapping away with my camera. Hope you enjoy my pics!

1 comment:

  1. Dude, loving the pics, especially the one from top of mount doom!
    Impressed!
    Looks like you are having a reasonably enjoyable time!

    ReplyDelete

avandia class action lawsuit