Pages

Monday 20 September 2010

Exercise Is Bad For Your Health...

I've been here for almost a week now and I'm still waking up at around 4am and struggling to get back to sleep. So today I decided a run was in order to help put me off to sleep tonight.

I set off up the street and it wasn't long before I saw a beautiful white parrot with a big yellow plume on its head. "I'm in paradise!" I said to myself as I kept on going. It wasn't long before I got to the nature reserve that is behind our house with this sign (see right) at the gate. I shrugged it off and told myself they'd all be behind fences out of the way.

As I jogged along the path I saw a group of kanagroos a few hundred metres off in the distance to my left. There was a fence running along both sides of the path so I assumed (!) all was safe. It wasn't until I rounded the corner to the left that I saw that these roos (check out my local lingo) we not behind the fense, but rather right in the middle of the path.  I stopped and we stared at each other in a scene straight out of a Clint Eastwood western. Apparently I don't look too intimidating 'cos one of them decided to have a go and came bounding towards me. It was around about this point that I wet myself and turned and ran. But did Mr Roo stop his pursuit? NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!

Now I know that you all back home are giggling to youselves about what I wuss I am. But you should know that the cuddly image we have of kangaroos is no reality. We've heard stories about how they punch, but yesterday I was told about how they have big claws on their hind legs! Apparently they hold you with their arms and then hack at you with their hind claws. Just recently a 9yr old boy was slashed down to his belly button! The only thing that saved his life was the fact that he was wearing a leather belt!

So I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me. I kept looking over my shoulder only to see that he wasn't gonna give up easily. Eventually he decided I wasn't worth it and I decided I'm never going for another run again!

7 comments:

  1. Better look out for the Drop Bears too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pete I hope Oz is a brilliant experience for you! Your comment has just confirmed exercise can be bad for you ... I will proceed with caution ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pete, I am torn between being your mum and worrying about you and those big bad 'roos' and laughing so hard I chocked on my dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story mate. I want more pictures though! Miss you pal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait til you get attacked by a magpie - now that hurts! Glad to see you are getting to know the locals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. only this would happen to you. laughing my butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruddy hilarious mate! Classic story - i'm still laughing. Don't be embarrassed though, i had a similar episode with some cows in a field near my house last year! No fear mate - don't give it up! Just watch out for those koala's!

    ReplyDelete

avandia class action lawsuit