Pages

Monday 25 October 2010

Another Day Of Stunning Views...

You're probably getting tired of photos of sunny coastlines, but today I set out for more. I had to work a little harder for today's pics- a three hour drive followed by a three hour hike up a steep mountain side.


After another gorgeous drive with photo opportunities all the way I arrived at Freycinet (fray-sin-ay) National Park. I was under strick instructions to get a view of Wineglass Bay, a beach in the area. The information centre said I had two options: Either an hour and a half return walk to a mountain saddle, or a three hour return hike up to the summit of Mount Amos- 1600 feet above seas level. Of course, I'm a MAN so I didn't really have a choice! Mt Amos here I come!
I drove to the foot of the mountain and climbed out of the car for the first great view of the hike- a kangaroo right beside the car! Thankfully this one was a little more reserved than the last one I met. He didn't even mind me taking his picture.


The warning signs at the start of the trail weren't kidding, it was a steeeeeeeep climb! A lot of the time I was on all fours and it wasn't long before the sweat was dripping from my nose! Thankfully, the higher I climbed the more the breeze cooled me and the better the views got. After lots of stops along the way, I made it to the summit. Awesome views and not another person in sight. I sat down for lunch overlooking the bay before snapping a few pics. After a nice long rest at the top I was ready for descent. Those slippery boulders, that were tough on the way up, seemed twice a slippery on the way down- some sections were better traversed on my bum!

I made it down with shaking legs and a soaking T-shirt but it was a lot of fun. After a brief look around some more of the park I headed home. 

3 comments:

  1. I wont even ask about. the sun screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome adventure! Hey, do you remember climbing up the hill at Gleanings and having to climb down in the dark with all those rocks?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Man that seems like a long time ago. I seem to remember throwing a torch (or something) up in the air and letting it smash on the rocks. Why did we do that again? :o)

    ReplyDelete

avandia class action lawsuit